Friday 11 October 2013

Task 1d - Posting images of my work!

For task 1D we have been asked to post a set of images of our work, I have used Flickr to do this and have chosen a selection photos of my professional work, headshot and a few from teaching and photos at my dance school.

Each photo to me makes up events in my life and each photo is a mile stone of my life. Photos from my dance school were photos from where I began my training then I moved onto college then professional work then teaching.

I think in todays society images are important and they are things that are looked at a lot. Web 2 links are used a lot for images such as, I would post images on Facebook to keep and look at in the future and to share with my friends about my experiences. I also used programmes such as Instagram and Twitter to post images but I primarily use Facebook. The images I post up  do not only show my experiences but they can be used to show my interests, personality and family and friends. Some people recommend that if you are a performer you should have a professional social network profile in case employers look at your profile. Impressive images and writing can be a great advantage for an individual to be recognised by an employer.

I think in dance we can be judged on our photos because if someone is doing something good it can be recognised on a photo but we can also be doing something good but if the photo is taken a second after it can make the action look bad.

Most of my images are of myself or of friends and colleagues that I have permission to use but I would like to have more images of my teaching but then this presents me with the issue of ethical reasons because nowadays you have to have written consent from the parents of the children to use images of them. In the future I may create a letter for parents and ask for their permission to use images of my pupils in class but I will only do this if it is needed. For example, in the future in my degree I could choose to focus on something that needs photographical evidence so in this case I would get permission from the parents to use images.

I created my photostream on Flickr and looking through all my photos it brought back a lot of memories and made me realise how much I want to progress in a teaching career.
Last week I covered a class for a friend who was ill and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I taught three classes Juniors, Intermediates and Seniors. I was most nervous about teaching the seniors but in the end they were the group that I enjoyed the most and the feedback I got back from both the principal and the students was great. My photos on Flickr were originally on my facebook profile and then I just transferred them to Flickr, after creating an account which was very quick and easy. This process was yet another example of using Web 2.0 in my daily everyday life. When all my photos were uploaded I was able to give them captions which can tell the people viewing the photos more about them and what they mean to me.

One thing that I have been stuck on with my blogging is following other people. I have worked out how to follow two people but they are the only people I have found have the follow me option. Does anyone know how to do this easily?
If I can follow people and easily find them on my profile I can read and comment on blogs a lot easier and quicker!!

The link to my Flickr :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/104828335@N04/


6 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures but I had to copy and paste your link rather than just click on it - not that this was a problem but I don't know if it is something you would want to look into for future reference and I guess develop your use of Web 2.0! With regards to the 'following' I am the same as you and seem to have created circles (I don't even know how) but then I find it really difficult navigation to different peoples blogs without going back to the page with all the lists. So I would also be grateful for advice/help on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just felt I needed to comment again to say that after just posting my blog about the same topic, the link on mine has done the same as yours meaning I would have to copy and paste.. I managed it before somehow but unfortunately it was clearly just a fluke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about this.. But I worked it out! you have to highlight the link and then click the 'Link' button when writing the blog - I hope that makes sense! Anyway, just though i'd let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amy, thanks for the comments! Oh that's annoying but glad you've found a way to hyperlink it, I shall try that on my next blog with a hyperlink. Yes the whole circles thing is really confusing, I am sure in time it will all become clear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ruth,
    Your photos on flickr are nice to look at and show a range of things you've been involved with.
    About following people I think I worked it out. If you go on to Paula's blog you can see her followers. Above it click 'join this site' and you can then follow her. I found this page useful (sorry don't know how to hyperlink on a comment):
    https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/104226?p=getting_started_with_pages&rd=1

    Also I think for other people to follow you its best to have the 'followers gadget' on your blog. To get it you go to layout>>add gadget>>more gadgets>> then if u scroll down to the bottom you'll find the follower gadget. Thats the one I have on my profile although there is a new google+ one but that confuses me!
    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good posts Ruth.

    In terms of posting images, there are ways to include them - for example, if they are fuzzed out so you can see it is a picture of say a ballet class, but you cannot make out faces or the location. It would be very useful for you to research this a bit (as you are interested) to see what the legal and ethical implications are.

    Really good posts, keep them building in quality and insight and well done for attracting a following!

    ReplyDelete