Thursday 17 October 2013

Social networking (web2)

I've been watched several programmes recently all related to social networking. It was showing me how things can get out of hand just from posting a simple comment. 
In the first programme there were a few stories that shocked me on how they made the individuals feel and what happened to them as an effect of the comment etc. The main two that shocked me were both of people in England. The first was a man who was travelling to Ireland in a week but the airport was currently closed because of I think snow so he tweeted something on the lines of :
"Robin Hood airport closed. You best be open in a week or I'm blowing you sky high"
This comment then resulted in the man being sacked from his job, being arrested and then spending the next two years of his life fighting court battles and proving to people that he wasn't a terrorist. The second story was a mother that took her baby to watch her older daughters band play. The baby was wearing sound deployment headphones and was asleep for most of the gig. Someone at the gig took a photo of the baby and posted it up onto the Internet. The mother then received hate messages saying she was a bad mother and should have her children taken off of her. In my opinion she had protected her babies ears from being damaged by the sound and she was supporting her daughter. 

Stories like this we hear about all the time and there is a lot of negative effects of social networking such as bullying and suicides but there are also a lot of positives such as, connecting old friends, creating events to invite people to and then for people to comment to each other about what to wear etc. 

What are the most shocking stories you have heard of and what do you use social networking for?

5 comments:

  1. There's also the story of a girl and boy from Essex getting denied entry to the States for something they had put on Twitter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16810312 It's always hard with social media - and often we can see/identify with both sides of the story. Usually I can see how silly one party has been, but can see nothing sinister was meant by it/how the other side have over reacted. It's often just naivety on the publishers part.

    I've commented on other blogs about my love of Facebook, and how I have my Facebook 'locked down' and only a handful of my friends are able to see my status', however Twitter isn't as easy to regulate especially as you do not have to 'accept' the follower - sometimes someone can have been following you for days without you knowing/noticing.

    On a separate note, I thought it might be helpful if everyone added the 'subscribe via email' option to their blog? You can find this in the 'layout' section of your blogger clicking on 'add a gadget' (I've put mine above my profile) and then choosing the 'subscribe via email' gadget. I thought this could save us all time as rather than checking everyday to see what's new, we would get an email telling us someone has a new blog topic. Just a thought! I'm going to post this to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth - right - your blog has gotten me into thinking social meida and ethics - I think it is good that this aspect has been added to the decision making aspects we think about for both our interaction and our learning blogs - the examples you have used seem reactionary in nature. The Snowden Guardian articles http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/18/edward-snowden-us-would-have-buried-nsa-warnings-forever was a reminder that 'powers' might be listening to public 'key words' for terrorism and other crimes (like your first example). How does this relate to your social use of media from a professional standpoint? You start evidencing your point of view - but tell use more about the positive and negative effects?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Ruth, the negatives of social networking sites can be catastrophic. I have been a victim myself of suffering from a form of bullying that was posted publicly on Facebook, this occurred from a person id not been in touch with for years making fake accusations about how i treat people and who i 'really am'. This really effected me as i did not know how long the comment had been on my site for, and with the extortionate numbers using Fb, I felt so violated. Lucky that Fb has settings in place for us to remove these, however, are they at fault for not setting up something so that everything filtered to our profiles should be seen first by the user? I guess not though, we should be able to post something so that freedom of speech is in order. Its a tough one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eve!! I think that facebook should have a function where everything people post relating to a person should be accepted first by the person it involves so like tagging and stuff, the person should accept it before it is put onto the news feeds etc.
    Megan! I also primarily just use Facebook, twitter is too confusing where as Facebook you can do everything, it gives you the updates and the notifications you want and need and is a little ore private than twitter, but only a little unless you put your profile on total lock down!!
    Paula I shall have a look at the site in detail when I'm home. Currently on the coach home, logged into the coach wifi!! What luxury haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys

    Facebook does do that...

    No-one can tag me in anything unless I okay it. No photos, no status' or anything. My friends can still post comments directly on my wall as long as my name isn't tagged. If it is it sits in Facebook space waiting for me to okay it.

    This doesn't solve the problem of people being able to write your name without tagging you, but people can say what they like in the street without tagging you...

    ReplyDelete