Friday 7 March 2014

Campus session 2!

At the beginning of the session Alan gave us a lecture on positionality ,where people are positioned.

Positionality is 'How we come to make sense of things depends on where we are coming from'
There are different accounts of knowledge.

Metaphysics - that existence can be explained through ideas separate from our everyday experiences

Rationalism - that knowledge can be derived from rational, logical thought based of deductive argument.

Empiricism - that knowledge derives from processing our sensory experiences.

Pragmatism- that we can understand the features of the world by what things do, rather than an imposed 'meaning'.

Embodied knowledge- we understand the world in all ways we experience it.

Didacticism / constructivism - questions... Can knowledge be transmitted? Or is it constructed?

This lecture made me reflect back to a conversation I had last week with a colleague at work. He is colourblind and we were talking about what colours he can see. To me something may be blue but to him it is dark black. We are learning for ourselves and gathering knowledge about what these are to us.

The knowledge landscape-
Theology(supernatural)
Humanities (analytical, critical, speculative)
Natural sciences (demonstrable truths)
Social sciences (demonstrable qualities)

The experiencing self and the remembering self - all our experiences pass away forever .... Only the memories that we make remain 'Daniel Kahnemen'

How does this relate to BAPP?
Inquiry is the making sense of something from a particular position;
Ethics is the account we give of our interactions with other people shaped by our Positionality;
Reflection is a process by which we make sense of our positionality.

Module 2 student hen went off with Alan and spoke about our module. We talked about our individual experiences within the module and also e module as a whole. We said that Task 4 is rehearsal process for this module.
Task c5:
5a- rules, what are the written and unwritten rules. (Piercings/tattoos)
5b- expectations for teaching generally - written and unwritten.
Culture- patterns of behaviours
C- is the reader similar to what I Found in 5a/b. Compare and contrast
5d.

Shaping the question
The practical things you do
1.Safeguarding (technical)
2. How it Informs my questions
(Use sig/blog)
Part 6- do with friends and ask them questions.
Assessment:
1. Proposal you are making about your inquiry (A plan) address who will benefit, what's already known (personal thoughts) who your going to interview and how you'll go about it.
Title- -what aRe you aiming to do - to find out- objectives- set up interviews/  conduct interviews / analyse interview/ read literature and compare them with the interviews.
Include task 5s ethical issues.
(Data or people)
2. Another piece of reflection (similar to module 1) what you've benefitted from. Say about the shift in my thinking and what it was.
3. Forms
1.Get the employer to fill one in
2. Choose title - 300 words why?
3. Ethical context statement - whether there is any issues to having ethical issues in your statement



This lecture was very interesting because we never actually think about our thinking we just do it. So putting them into these categories gave me more knowledge about what they are.
The session helped me re create my questions. I was given the idea that if I make a form of a closed question I am not opening the question up to other answers. I had the questions

What values and effects does the age of teachers have on students? This question is still in my questions because it is something that interests me and I am hoping it will link into another question.

What is more important a degree in the arts or a cv full of performing? Total opposites, you could have both. I have made a closed question here, creating an answer where people are going to think it is one or the other when like I have mentioned, it could be both. 
I have therefore transformed my question into a more open question as follows;

What creates respect?
 (Established teachers. Qualities,features, capabilities, qualifications? )

(Many times you can hear 'She's unqualified b can teach'. If you don't Have a degree for the position you not taken seriously?) 

What happens when an individual goes through The transition between a professional performer and teacher, and how do we prepare for this?  - I have decided I don't like this question and don't want to use it because I know the answer because I am doing it. Therefore, I don't feel this question will benefit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment