Saturday 28 September 2013

Prisoners linking me to technology

Hey fellow readers!
Just been to the cinema to watch the new film, The Prisoners. It was a great movie starring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall. It was a very tense movie about two families that are friends that have their daughters kidnapped. The story line has great twists and has a good cliff hanger ending. Has anyone seen this film?
The last film I watched Hugh Jackman in was Les Miserables and he was fabulous in that and equally as good I'm this.
Watching the film made me think of how technology has grown over the years. At the beginning of the movie there was a short advert about the technology the cinemas are using, it said 4k. I am intrigued what this is so googled it and found information on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

If I am correct it is basically a movie that has the digital resolution of 4000 pixels.  I then googled the
 pixels on a normal tv and if I am correct this is 1024 pixels.
I found this from the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

I then thought about the whole technology subject and remembered about the reader I was given at university
about professional communications technology, so I began to read further into it.

It talks about Web 2.0 which is Facebook, blogs, YouTube, twitter and other social networking methods
 all in one category. Sites such as Facebook, twitter, blogs and hotmail will help me share my ideas and 
Help me communicate to friends, the community or the network. I personally at the moment use Facebook a lot and 
Find this is the most convenient way to communicate but I'm sure thoroughly my time on this course I could be persuaded to use other
Methods of web2. 

Over the next week I shall read the reader 1 booklet in more depth and comment or blog with any findings or opinions I have on it. 

Happy reading and if you have spare time go and catch Prisoners. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    Really good posts, this one and the previous. Ultimately, its up to you to make the decisions about your future career and the explanations you make to yourself about what you are doing (your previous post) and how you do it (this post).

    In terms of the use of Web2.0 I think it has a transformative capacity that it is hard to fully appreciate if you are not my age (!!!) and experienced life before web2.90, indeed, before computers, mobiles and yes, I remember when the then BT (called the GPO) delivered the first landline phone to our house.

    The technology opens enormous potential for all of us to engage our professional practice in different ways, and clearly, the fastening ace of development means new potentials await us around the corner.

    Like all interactions, we need to stay safe and to operate ethically, but the new technology really does offer you guys so much more potential than existed when I left college (end of Grandad's speech!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth,

    Great blog - a really interesting read, in fact I may go and see that film this weekend and give you my views on it!

    I agree, I use Facebook a lot however Twitter seems to take over my social time now. At first I was all for Facebook and couldn't get my head around twitter but I now love it. I pretty nosey! and twitter allows you to be nosey... not sure if that's a good or bad thing? I set my twitter to private ensuring its safe. Although web 2.0 is amazing and great to communicate it does have its faults (but I guess that's like anything)

    Have you watched 'The Social Network' ? It's basically about how Facebook was invented and his journey through the process. Its pretty incredible to think a boy sitting in his collage dormitory created something that has now changed the worlds way of communicating. If you get a chance have a watch and let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely recommend it!
    I primarily use facebook but do have twitter. Twitter took me a while to get my head around aswell but now I know how to use it I still prefer facebook because facebook tells you more conveniently about events and birthday and I just generally prefer it. haha to be honest using facebook and twitter makes me feel nosey sometimes. For example, if a friend gets a boyfriend my friends and I always find ourselves checking out his profile to see where he's from and what he looks like.

    Yes faults, such as, bullying. I hear a lot about bullying in social networking. In my work places we have to fill in forms to say that we will not post about our work because they consider talking about work unprofessional. Hmmmmm, debatable.

    Yes, I have seen The Social Network! I really enjoyed it and thought it was great learning the true story behind a website that I use everyday. Its amazing how much money that website now takes in, especially as it is a free website for users but obviously they make their profit from advertising!!

    ReplyDelete